Monday, August 29, 2016

A Trip to the Perry County Fair

This weekend, I visited my cooperating center at the Perry County Fair in Newport, PA. I arrived at 4:30, right in time to see the livestock auctions where students across the county proudly showed off their SAE projects in hopes to get a bid for their animal. These students all had Ownership/Entrepreneurship projects.
Perry County Fair, Newport, PA

I was able to observe the roles Mrs. Pontius and Mr. Clark had in the auction as well as helping students prepare for their SAE's. Mrs. Pontius and Mr. Clark like to check on students throughout the summer that are showing and help them with anything they need for their SAE. She especially helps them with training the animals and teaching the students on showing techniques. 

How typical visits go

When there was some down-time, I asked Mrs. Pontius about how she does other types of SAE visits such as research, entrepreneurship, crop farming, etc. She said that her and Mr. Clark would usually go and check on how the students were doing and update them of when their records were due on AET. They would help students if they needed assistance with their projects.
Thomas' project on his lambs

She also talked about how they would seek out their employer and ask them questions like how is the student doing? Is there anything we (the ag teachers) could do to help make the experience better? What skills or topics should we teach to help prepare students for a project or career in your line of work?

I especially liked that last question because not only does it tie in the classroom part of the three-circle model, but it shows the community that they're not just sending the students out to do a project, they want to prepare students and get their resources from the employers themselves.

Procedures during visits

Bethany's project on her rabbit, Bella
Having never been on the receiving end of an SAE visit when I was in ag classes, I was interested to know how they were facilitated and what types of rules they had to follow. Mrs. Pontius and Mr. Clark always travel together to visits to ensure that there is more than one adult with a student. If one of them can't go, they will find school administration or other teachers to go. Mrs. Pontius even mentioned bringing chapter officers or members along to the visit. Teachers would just have to keep in mind that they should drive with more than one student or have the student meet them at the location. Rules aside, having administration visit would show them some of the work that teachers and students do over the summer, ensuring them the need for things like extended contracts. As for students visiting, it might be nice for them to see other types of SAE's or seeing what their peers are working on. 

Both teachers will also only visit the student if there is someone else like a parent present. This ensures the safety and comfort for everyone and also allows the teachers to meet the parents if they haven't already. They might also ask questions about how they can help the parents make the process better.

A little piece of Greenwood

While I was at the fair, I got to meet some of the officers that were helping out with the auction. I asked if I could steal some officers to have them take me around the fair. They eagerly took me around the fair and showed me some of their projects, the FFA stands, and of course the prized food booths. I asked them a ton of questions about their community and things in the area, neighboring schools, and things their FFA officers did. I also met some members who will be my future students so that was neat to start forming those relationships with them. 
The Agriscience Poster Project

I commend myself for introducing myself as Ms. Kane to everyone I met. It felt really strange but I didn't slip up and say my first name, so I think the transition won't be too challenging! However, as I was walking around and interacting with the officers and members, I realized that my role is now changing from visitor to their school to their student teacher, Ms. Kane. I had to take a step back and think about the things I was saying and doing. Of course, I wasn't saying anything wrong, but I wondered what do teachers talk about to their students? How do they carry themselves? How do I handle controversial topics like politics? How do I relate to them not as a peer that's only a few years older than them, but an adult that should be seen as an authority figure? 
Ethan showing his project at the auction

It was definitely a reflective moment as I asked myself those questions. The reality of student teaching is certainly starting to creep in as I feel out my role and how I interact with my students. 

I really enjoyed visiting the fair and seeing the teachers and students as they worked hard to show their SAE projects. I couldn't help but smile at how many times the students sought out the teachers for their questions. I envisioned that one day being me helping my students with all of their concerns, questions, and advice.

 Leaving Thought


"Wake up in anticipation something great is going to happen today" -unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment