Sunday, November 20, 2016

Microteaching... How much do they really know about cattle?

The Top 3 Things I Learned from Microteaching at Juniata High School

I planned three lessons on the cattle industry for an introductory ag class. I wanted to start with general terminology and providing students with clear definitions of bovine terms. Then I was going to introduce them to some breeds of cattle which would lead into my lesson on selective breeding. Finally, I would begin to touch on methods of raising both dairy and beef cattle. The classes were 40 minutes long and it was a one-on-one so each had their own iPad in addition to the ag department having Chromebooks. The school also used Google Classroom. 

1. Slow it down; break it down

The first day I started off with general terminology. Some words included knowing the difference between a cow and a heifer, others were more in depth such as ruminant animals or castration. While I didn't explain the whole digestive or surgical process, I introduced them to words I would expect that they would come across as the week went on (also words that they might recognize from past lessons or will hear in future lessons).

I went through my powerpoint on terminology pretty quickly for a few reasons. One was just nerves. But mostly because I gave them access to the powerpoint with their iPads so they didn't need to take notes.. they had it right in front of them and could reference anytime they needed. I also knew having a 40 minute class was going to make me pressured to get through my objectives for that day so I wanted to make sure we had time for the application activity later. I also felt that these words were fairly basic or easy to remember. In fact, I was worried that the lessons was too easy. So I didn't want to spend a long time going through a boring powerpoint. 

I did, however take some pauses and ask questions for the students such as "why do you think farmers use castration?" and things like that which got them thinking a little. They were reluctant to answer at times, but I thought they were just shy.

Later, Evy mentioned to me that she noticed some confused looks on their faces as I went through the powerpoint--something I must not have noticed (I think it was the nerves). So this whole time I was thinking that this lesson would be simple where in fact, it was a little more on the challenging side for them. I learned that I need to slow it down for them, take a breath and really look around the room and see how they are taking the information. Also just break down the information, even if it looks like they might understand. 

On the plus side, I did a Go Get It E-moment with them and they LOVED it. I think it also helped solidify what they just learned which was great. As far as clarity goes for giving directions, I think I nailed it too!

2. Technology is your friend... and your enemy

Growing up in an era where schools had the huge plastic box called a desktop computer (you know, the ones that took 5 minutes to load and the only games were minesweeper?), I was certainly not used to a one-on-one school district. So I was worried about what the technology situation would look like. For the most part, they were pretty productive on them. I would have them look up information for their bellwork or use it for some of the projects they did. However, there were a few individuals that were goofing off on their iPads or phones. I was floating around the room often so I was able to catch it often, but it was still a huge distraction for some students. And some of those students were the ones who constantly finished last. 

It's hard coming into someone else's classroom and not knowing all of their rules (even with a day of observing) and trying to lay down the law. I believe I did a good job in controlling the situation when it happened. I think I should have followed up with the next "step". But if it's their iPads, who I am to take them away? And now they don't get any work done. So who really wins? Technology is certainly a blessing and a curse. 

3. Time is of the essence

By the time all of the students get settled, come back from the bathroom, begin their bellwork, and are ready to start the class, 10 minutes might have gone by. Then to go over it and get into the interest approach, and transition into the lesson takes even more time. By the end of the day, I found that I could barely get through one objective... and I might have had two or three! There is not enough time in the day and I have no idea how teachers get through their lessons and feel like their students have learned something. They must certainly be magical. 

I know I tend to over plan activities, but I still envisioned certain projects going much quicker than they did. Students needed more time finishing assignments and I had not anticipated that. So I would start by saying that I would give them five minutes for something but they needed ten. I kept pushing it because I thought I was being adaptable. 

Mrs. Morgan suggested having a specific time for when they were to be done by and sticking to it. They could finish it later, but in order to make progress, they needed to continue moving through the lesson. I think this will be valuable for me as I try to teach 42 minute classes in the spring. Some lessons can be adaptable, but the rest can either be finished for homework, after school, or the next day. I might have to work in some "work days" or "catch up days" just in case this happens. Not sure of other teachers' perspectives on this, but it's just a thought. 

Reflection

I was glad for the experience to microteach. There are some challenges as far as not knowing the students beforehand and not knowing the classroom management views of the teacher, but I liked having the trial and error experience. I think the biggest lesson for me was getting a feel of what exactly 40 minutes feels like and knowing how to use my time as effectively as possible. 

2 comments:

  1. Miranda, cool to hear the E-moment went well! I know you are not one-to-one at greenwood, but one thing to try if you are somewhere that has it is using nearpod with a powerpoint, then you can monitor and know if they are off task. Reading and observing students is something that I think we will all grow in, and takes pauses, or taking steps back. And we have to remember although we may not feel like we know it all (man oh man I don't) we most likely know more than the students, so you are so right- slow and steady is key, but still holding them to time limits. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 40 minutes does fly! Thank you for sharing!

    DF

    ReplyDelete