Saturday, March 4, 2017

Shifting Some Gears: Week #8

This week, I am still pushing through some of the challenges of the previous week, but I think some new gears have been shifted and I'm hopeful they're in my favor.

New units and changing techniques

I am finally done with my unit on pest management, and I am moving onto alternative uses for plants. This unit includes my hydroponics project, so students have been doing much more hands-on learning by making their hydroponics system. I think they enjoyed this and I have really been trying to think of ways to make my lessons more hands-on and student centered. I find it hard to do sometimes, when the content I want them to understand is so specific, so I am thankful for projects like these where I can let them take the stage. I also had my students do a discussion on the uses of hydroponics in developing countries where I told them I was going to step back and let them discuss. They're a quiet class and being the first class of the day doesn't work in my favor so I was was worried that this discussion wouldn't go well, but once they got going, it actually went better than planned and I think they enjoyed it!




I tried this in my food science class as well. Other than introducing the topic of food irradiation, I didn't talk much about it at all. Instead, I split them into two groups and had them do some research on it, and then had them create a debate on the pros and cons of irradiated food. This is my talkative and energized class, so I think it was a great fit for them. Again, I didn't anticipate the debate taking very long at all, but they spent the entire class period on it, and they had some really great arguments for and against it. 

Food science debate on food irradiation

I know I can't rely on this all of the time, but I now know what it looks like to try a less teacher centered approach.

Into the shop!

I'm also excited because I'm getting students to actually start working in the shop. In welding, I gave them a demonstration (which went pretty well despite some of my fears!) and they got to practice with their welds. I have some challenges with students being uncomfortable welding, but I am hopeful that the ones who are motivated will get the opportunity to practice and make something neat. I know that flexibility is key for the other students, but it does make it a little challenging to essentially plan two different lessons for the same class period. It is also a challenge because I want to make sure I am watching for safety of the students welding and I don't want to have my attention divided. But I know that each student is important and I have to make that commitment to educate each of them. 

I don't have my small engines students in the shop yet, but next week, I'm going to get them working in there. They haven't said so yet, but I think they're itching to get their hands dirty (I know I want to see them in action!). So I think that will make planning those lessons a little easier.

The pressure is on

Public speaking exercise
Before, I felt that I had a lot of time, but now I am starting to feel some of the pressure of deadlines. I really want to take my time with my public speaking unit, for example, but many of them are also competing in the speaking contests and they must hand in their manuscripts by next week. This means I need to speed up some of my lessons or remove some completely. Again, I know that flexibility is key, but I also hate rushing students when I feel they need more time. It just means I need to be more efficient with my lessons. 

Another public speaking exercise on tone of voice with children's stories!

I also feel some pressure in making sure I complete all of my units before the conclusion of student teaching. Everything has taken much longer than I anticipated and everything has had to be shifted to later dates. I am working through some ways to be more efficient without leaving the students wanting more, so hopefully this will work itself out in the end!

In the world of FFA 

Secretary of Agriculture Russell Redding and Representative Mark Keller at the Farmer's Breakfast with Perry County FFA members and State FFA officers
On Friday, we attended Representative Mark Keller's breakfast. This breakfast hosted by Mark Keller introduced several different speakers and organizations that contribute to agriculture and growth in the county. It was neat to meet some new people, and become a little more connected with the county. 

Plans for next week

In plant science, students will continue working with their hydroponics system and will learn a little about aquaponics as well.

In small engines, I am getting students in the shop and having them disassemble engines.

In agriscience, they will continue to work on their speeches.

In welding, Mr. Statler will not be there, so I can't have them working on the equipment. Instead, they will work on a career exploration project.

In animal bioscience, we are going to finish with the anatomy of the udder and then we are going to talk about milk components. 

In food science, we will cover food packaging, and finish up our unit on food preservation. I anticipate moving onto the next unit by the end of the week.

In leadership, students will continue working on their speeches for the public speaking unit. 

Leaving Thought

"When it rains, look for rainbows. When it's dark, look for stars" -- Unknown

2 comments:

  1. LOVE seeing you attempting student centered instructional approaches! Don't be afraid to try lots! See what works best for you AND the students! Try not to feel pressure to get through all your units, its not about covering each unit its about allowing students to be successful in learning the material!

    Looking forward to my upcoming visit!

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A lot is happening at Greenwood. I love it. Great pictures and I agree with Dr. Rice... focus on the students' learning and the content will come along with that focus. Talk with you tonight!

    Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete