Friday, October 7, 2016

Lab Trial #3: Problem Based Learning

Question or Problem

How can I use a problem based learning approach in my classroom so that the students can think critically and solve real problems?

blog.engineeringstudents.org

...reading about problem solving approaches... hypothesizing that students will be engaged and thinking critically...

Testing the experiment

The lesson was on integrated pest management. Students haven't learned about IPM yet, but they have learned about pests and pesticide use. This lesson was to give them a feel of IPM and then have them reflect on what they did and how that aligns with the main steps of IPM. 

Soybean pest example
I told my students about a friend of mine that had a pest problem with her soybeans (not a real story). I showed them pictures of the situation and gave them a few resources. Ideally, there would be books and Agronomy guides, and computers at their finger tips that they could look at. I at least wanted to give them a list of potential answers so that they weren't overwhelmed with the possibilities. The students were to narrow down their search and figure out the potential pest. 

Analysis and results of data

I was super nervous for this lab. I don't think many teachers had given me liberty to solve problems in my lifetime, so it was not only new to me, but now I had to teach using it! Once the lab was done, however, I felt much better. My peers mentioned some tweaks, but for the most part their feedback was positive. 

One suggestion was to have some sort of a worksheet to guide their thoughts and notes. It would also have the question or situation they are trying to solve. I think that is a great idea for those visual learners. It probably would have clarified things a lot more.
incolors.club

Another suggestion was just making sure the situation I was presenting was logical. I tried to do my research as I was preparing for this lab, but I am by no means an expert on pests or soybeans so it was challenging. I tried to think of as many questions as possible and find those answers beforehand, but it was hard to know what they were going to ask. That was part of my fear in going into this lesson. However, I think I handled those moments of uncertainty very well. 

Another thing that was interesting was as I was trying to play along with the story (pretending that I didn't know the answer when I knew full well what the answer was for the sake of the mystery), one of the students made the comment about how if I don't know the answer, how could they trust me? How could they figure it out? I tried to turn it back to them and say that with my knowledge and their help, we can figure it out together. I wonder if there is a better way to respond to this. How do I maintain my credibility, but go along with the story. Should I tell them that I know, but I want to see if they could figure it out? I feel if I did that, they would give up when it got hard, and just wait for me to tell them the answer. 

Conclusion

I think with much more practice, I could become good at PBL. I certainly see the benefit, and I think that's how more classrooms should be. I just need to get myself into that mindset and turn the reigns over to my students every once in a while. 
deeringbanjos.com

Leaving Thought

"Vulnerability is strength"--Cheryl Strayed

No comments:

Post a Comment