Saturday, January 28, 2017

Conducting SAE Visits... Weigh-In Day


On Wednesday, January 25th, I got to experience SAE visits. My home chapter never conducted SAE visits to my knowledge, and my SAEs never really needed visited. Needless to say, the idea of teachers going to students' homes is still a little outside the norm for me, but I really do like the idea of home visits and SAE visits. I see many benefits and will make sure to try and do them with my future students.

Mr. Clark and Mrs. Pontius reviewing rate of gain with Mallory for her steer
We visited with 5 different students on a beautiful Wednesday evening after school hours. Each of these students had steer that they were raising to show at the county fair. They had Beef Finishing-Entrepreneurship SAE programs. My cooperating teachers and I went to do weigh-ins and check the rate of gain to make sure they were on the right track.

 
Mitchell weighing his steer with help from his pap
Mallory, Mitchell's sister, weighing her steer with help from their pap
 
We visited each of the students' farms and got to meet the parents and even grandparents and other farm hands.. oh, not to mention the farm dogs and kitties!

Wyatt holding his steer on the scale
In the fall, Mrs. Pontius and Mr. Clark had sign-ups for weigh ins because they couldn't show unless they had the initial weigh in. They would schedule the visits and collect the weights. They save this information to use for future visits as well. This was how they prepared prior to this day's visit.


This time, Mrs. Pontius and Mr. Clark began with weighing the steer. They would calculate the rate of gain and show the students. They would talk about if that was good or not and whether the student should continue with the feed amounts or increase or decrease them. They also would observe the facilities and barns to make sure that the environment was clean and comfortable for the animals and that they had plenty of water and other needs were met. They would then ask if the student had any questions or concerns about their steer and what more they needed to prepare. They would give advice if needed, however these students were pretty advanced as far as understanding how to raise animals and showing animals.


Brooke with her steer, Donald, and Mrs. Pontius observing the steer
The records used were AET. Students completed all of their work in there. They brought with them a folder with previous weights. They added the new weights and the rate of gain for each students' steer. When it comes closer to the fair, they give out a checklist of what is needed in preparation for the fair. My cooperating teachers then grade the SAEs simply by reviewing the AET records and making sure that they are complete.

 
Ethan's sow with day old piglet litter

Ethan with his pigs
I really benefitted from seeing how visits work, but it makes me nervous for when I have to do my own in the future. I've never shown animals and don't know if I could provide great advice for that. While I have worked on a farm and certainly have some knowledge of farming facilities and practices, I don't know if I could easily identify issues or come up with ways to solve problems. Especially for animals which I have never worked with.

Ethan's steer
One student asked my cooperating teachers before we left if they could look at their gilt and determine if she was pregnant. We all went and looked but none of us could give answers to that question. It's neat to see that collaboration and also good to see that even veteran ag teachers may not know everything. It reminds me that I shouldn't be worried as much about not knowing everything about showing and raising animals. However, I feel it is my duty as the educator to know this information so even if I don't know then, I think it's important to learn for myself as well as guide that student to resources and provide the pathway for learning.


SAEs can be tedious and a lot of work, but I think it's experiences like the potentially pregnant gilt which can generate further learning.

1 comment:

  1. The toughest visit you will ever conduct is the your FIRST visit...after that, just keep plowing :)

    df

    ReplyDelete