Friday, January 13, 2017

Mid Winter FFA Convention: An Ag Teacher's First Steps

Mid Winter FFA Convention Reflection

Just like a baby taking their first steps or a young child learning to ride a bike, I got to finally step into my role as an ag teacher and advisor. I am now officially a student teacher!

And what better way to begin this journey than a real test! Mr. Clark and Mrs. Pontius both had to arrive at the Farm Show early with students for contests they were competing in. Myself and a teacher aid were in charge of bringing the remaining twenty-four students to the Farm Show. 



Despite some first day jitters, I was fairly confident after travelling to the National FFA Convention with the students and having been to the Farm Show as many times as I have. So there were no issues getting these students where they needed to be.

Upon arrival, some students helped to setup for Mid Winter by organizing chairs and jackets. It never ceases to amaze me how willing the students are to help out and it brings me great joy to see them do so without complaint even though it wasn't their responsibility and they were in official dress hauling chairs around the arena!

Afterwards they got to walk around for a little until the convention started. 


Greenwood is proud to say that we had students succeeding in many areas including:

10 Keystone Degree Recipients
13 Freshman Jacket Award Recipients
1 WLC Scholarship Recipient
1 Ag Issues Team
19 Agriscience Project Participants
1 Chapter Agricultural Display
and 1 student performing the National Anthem


My students are something special! And they work hard to get to where they are too! While winning isn't everything, I hope I can one day cultivate motivated and active leaders in my own FFA chapter. If only it was as easy as Mr. Clark and Mrs. Pontius make it look! 

Big Picture: Farm Show is the perfect way to ease a new teacher in. I feel it starts the experience at something common and comfortable for both the students and myself since we have both attended before. It was a positive experience with zero issues. 

My goal for the next trip is to make sure I write every instruction given to me down! I thought I could remember everything my CTs told me before they left but I forgot to do something before I left. Fortunately it wasn't a big deal, but I now know that even when you think you can remember something, the hustle and bustle of getting students where they need to be can sometimes make you forget things! I learning already!

2 comments:

  1. A note keeping system can be critical. A lot of Ag Teachers I know keep a pocket diary, but I am sure there is an app that would work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great knowing your cooperating teachers were confident and comfortable tasking you from the get-go! This respect will increase as the semester progresses. Keep doing great things!

    LR

    ReplyDelete