Monday, April 3, 2017

Change of Spotlight: Week #12

This week was unique in several ways. On Tuesday, we had the opportunity to go to the area speaking LDE contests. It was a great experience to see what I had helped prepare students to do. We had students in each competition including creed, parliamentary procedure, opening ceremonies/chapter conduct, junior and senior prepared public speaking, conservation, and extemporaneous speaking. 


I think the students gained a lot of good experience from the contest and there is much improvement felt from the first day they started their speaking journey to their final moment during the contest. They had the chance to shine, and they did a great job! Our parliamentary procedure team and chapter conduct students placed first and one of our extemporaneous speakers placed third, so they will have the opportunity to move on to regionals. 



When I wasn't helping students with their last minute jitters or answering their questions, I got to help with the parliamentary procedure contest. I simply helped to time the event and set up the contest (I wasn't a judge). It was a really neat experience to see how the contest is run and how similar or different it can be from the national competition. I was surprised at how much I was able to pick up on during the contest too. Normally, I get overwhelmed by the number of motions and the speed of the contest, but after learning about it more at Penn State and hearing my students practice, it's beginning to make more sense and I was able to follow along much easier. Just like all things, it takes time and practice!


Up and moving

I like to challenge myself by planning lessons where the students are moving. Sometimes, due to the nature of the activities or content, this can be a challenge. But in several of my classes, I was able to facilitate little labs or activities to get students out of their seats. I'm covering dairy in two of my classes, so I've had them taste cheese samples, or evaluate milk defects and off-flavors. I got them building and creating. I like the idea of project based activities where they can still be engaged but the spotlight is not always on me. That was one of my goals that I've been striving to move toward so I'm hopeful that these small changes will blossom into bigger ones. 




"Guest" Speakers

Several students were interested in participating in the Teach Ag Essay Contest. So I had a few "guest" speakers in my classes. It was really neat to see students in action and to help them plan for the classes. I enjoyed being able to pass on some of my knowledge and resources to them. They also had some really cool activities that they did in class which I think I will steal if I teach those same things in the future! 

Katie presenting on dairy cattle tack supplies

Sam engaging students in parliamentary procedure

Hunger awareness

Greenwood also hosted a hunger awareness event on Friday. The students worked hard to plan and prepare for the event before hand. This event featured a volleyball tournament for the sports fanatics, and bingo for those looking to win some prizes. We also sold food. Each of these components as well as other events throughout the year helped us raise over $5000 which surpassed the students' goal. So not only did we reach our goal, but we had a lot of fun and a ton of support from parents, alumni, teachers, and the community. 




Plans for next week

Next week, I am beginning to wrap up my classes. I am dropping Animal Bioscience, and in Welding, we are just finishing up our projects and I will be done with that class as well. I will also be teaching a shorter unit in Food Science on food safety, a This I Believe unit in Leadership, and in Small Engines, we will wrap up some of the systems and get to reassemble their engines. I will finish after that. I will also spend this week talking about parliamentary procedure in Agriscience and will continue with the new unit I started in Plant Science on crop production. 

Leaving Thought

"No one is sent by accident to anyone" -- A Course in Miracles

4 comments:

  1. Miranda,

    I would love to read some connections between how you make FFA Intracurricular and not something "Extra"..how is this attached to your instructional plan/program?

    DF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. As far as the LDEs go, I taught a unit in both my Agriscience course and my Leadership course on Public Speaking. Students got to learn what skills they needed as far as real life application, but also were able to prepare for the LDE and practice in class. So, many of them got the classroom experience and then directly applied it to the contest.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are enjoying your last few weeks at Greenwood! I love seeing you challenging yourself and trying to integrate new teaching strategies! Keep up the good work!

    LR

    ReplyDelete