Sunday, April 9, 2017

Practice Makes Perfect: My Mock Interview Experience

One of our assignments we have to complete consists of going through a mock job interview with the administration at our cooperating center. After the practice we had at Penn State, this mock interview was much easier and I felt more prepared. I only hope this continues as I go through real interviews!

The administrator, our principal, asked me several questions touching on several aspects of the agricultural program and FFA. Some questions surprised me and others I was certainly more ready for. I was asked: 


  • How much time do I expect to spend on lesson development when teaching a new course?
  • How do I select student leaders for a position as an FFA officer?
  • How would I prove to a parent that I care about the academic and personal success of their child?
  • How do I implement classroom management?
  • How do I handle discipline issues in the school?
  • What skills do I have to offer the school?

I was also given a situation where I received a parent e-mail regarding an issue in the classroom and I was asked how I would handle the issue. 

I felt mostly prepared thanks to some of the assignments we have had with Penn State in the past. I think there will always be that small uncertainty as to what the administrators could ask. The administrator provided me with some great feedback on the questions which I could share that would enhance my responses to the questions based on what I have already done with student teaching. One of the questions I asked the administrator during the interview was what is the perception of agriculture in the community? (What areas of agriculture were most desired or most needed in this school?).



I don't know if I would say I was impressed or unimpressed either way. I think the exposure we had to the interview process has made the experience a fairly comfortable one for me. I think the one part that stood out to me was the location of the interview. The administrator reflected with me that she would prefer interviews at a round table in her office rather than in a board room or a conference room. She preferred this because it made the interview seem more personal and less awkward for both parties. She mentioned that this might not always be the case, but that this was her preferred method. 

I think the only areas I could improve on would be to have a list of stories to refer back on and to remember the S.T.A.R. method during interviews.

Now it's off to do the real thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment